1分钟读完10部西方文学经典【幽默短文集】
译者 江烈农
Read 10 Classic Books In Under A Minute
一分钟读完十部西方文学经典
First Posted: 9/27/11 05:12 PM ET Updated: 9/27/11 05:12 PM ET
《赫芬顿邮报》图书版(Books | Huff Post)2011年9月27日讯
译者:江烈农
From Flavorwire
If you’ve ever lamented to someone about not having enough time to read, there’s a cure for what ails you. While nothing can replace the feel of a good novel in your hands — and the eau de stink of the used bookstore you found it in — the Book-A-Minute website aims to catch you up on all the classics you’ve been meaning to read since … forever. “When even the CliffsNotes are just too long, come here. Covers everything from Shakespeare to Steinbeck,” the site teases. They’ve taken fine literature, science-fiction/fantasy, and children’s bedtime stories and condensed them into amusing one-minute reads. Interestingly enough, you’ll find that many of them are dead-on descriptions of the actual works. Skip through ten classic books below and check a few to-dos off your bucket list.
如果你曾向别人抱怨:我就是没时间读书。那么好,现在你有救了。当然,手捧一本好书,细细品味一部小说的绝妙感觉是无法替代的——去旧书店淘书那种独特的怀旧气息也是如此。一分钟读书网应运而生。来补补课,读读那些你从很早很早以前就打算要读的经典吧;其实我知道,这些书你这辈子都不可能去读。美国人有套书,叫《克里夫笔记》,就是把大部头精炼提纯,用几十页精华笔记的形式呈献给读者——应付考试专用;一分钟读书网更牛,根本不把这套书放在眼里,网站上写道:“如果你连《克里夫笔记》都嫌长,那就来我们这儿。从莎士比亚,到斯坦贝克,一应俱全。”这个网站精选了纯文学、科幻、奇幻,以及幼儿床头读物等各种类别的经典,将书籍内容压缩成幽默的一分钟短文。很有意思的是,你会发现这其中大部分“缩写”经常准确得要死,实际上原著全凭那么一两句话就可概括。先看看下面我们精选的十条吧,然后再去网站找找你感兴趣的。
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
一、《了不起的盖茨比》,作者:弗·司各特·菲茨杰拉德
Gatsby: “Daisy, I made all this money for you, because I love you.”
盖茨比:“黛西,我挣的这些钱都归你,因为我爱你。”
Daisy: “I cannot reciprocate, because I represent the American Dream.”
黛西:“我无以为报,因为我代表了‘美国梦’。”
Gatsby: “Now I must die, because I also represent the American Dream.”
盖茨比:“那我现在就得死,因为我也代表了‘美国梦’。”
(Gatsby DIES)
(盖茨比死了)
Nick: I hate New Yorkers.
尼克:我恨这帮纽约客。
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
二、《太阳照常升起》,作者:厄纳斯特·海明威
Stock Hemingway Narrating Character: “It was in Europe after the war. We were depressed. We drank a lot. We were still depressed.”
陈腐的海明威式角色叙述:“那是战后的欧洲。我们都很沮丧。我们狂饮。我们仍然很沮丧。”
The Catcher In the Rye by J.D. Salinger
三、《麦田守望者》,作者:杰罗姆·大卫·塞林格
Holden Caulfield: “Angst angst angst swear curse swear crazy crazy angst swear curse, society sucks, and I’m a stupid jerk.”
霍尔顿·考菲尔德:“恐惧、恐惧、恐惧、脏话、粗口、脏话、发疯、发疯、恐惧、脏话、粗口,这社会太垃圾,我就是个傻波伊。”
Inferno by Dante
四、《神曲》之《地狱》,作者:但丁
Some woman puts Dante through Hell.
有个女人带但丁去地狱走了一遭。
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
五、《白鲸》,作者:赫尔曼·麦尔维尔
Ishmael: “Call me Ishmael.”
伊希梅尔:“叫我‘伊希梅尔’。”
Captain Ahab: “Crew, we will seek the white whale and kill it, because I am insane.”
亚哈船长:“全体船员,我们要去找那只白鲸,然后干掉它,因为我是个疯子。”
Crew: “Alas, your destructive obsession will be our undoing.”
全体船员:“哎呀要死啊,你这毁灭性的妄想将招致我们的灭亡。”
(They almost find the white whale. Then they almost find the white whale. Then they find it.)
(他们几乎找到那只白鲸了。然后他们又几乎找到那只白鲸了。然后他们找到了。)
Captain Ahab: “I stab at thee. I stab at thee.”
亚哈船长:“我刺、我刺……”
(Everybody dies except Ishmael, although this is no surprise, because it was foreshadowed CONTINUALLY from the BEGINNING.)
(所有人都死了,除了伊希梅尔,不过这不算稀奇,因为这个结局通篇都有暗示——真的是“通篇”。)
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
六、《丛林》,作者:厄普顿·辛克莱
Bad things happen. Worse things happen. Better things happen. Awful things happen. Jurgis discovers socialism and gets all happy.
坏事发生了。更坏的事发生了。好点儿的事发生了。很糟糕的事发生了。吉盖斯发现了社会主义,心情豁然开朗。
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
七、《瓦尔登湖》,作者:亨利·大卫·梭罗
Henry David Thoreau: “A truly rich man doesn’t have money, but rather courage, truth, and an inner glory that transcends the passiveness of our physical beings. That’s why I’m going to live in the boonies.”
亨利·大卫·梭罗:“一个真正富有的人并没有钱,他拥有的是勇气、真理,以及一个强大内心,强大到足以超越我们外表、肉体的一切消极。这就是为什么我要生活在穷乡僻壤。”
(Two years later … )
(两年后……)
“I’m getting the heck out of here and getting my pencil-making job back. Um. But what I said still goes.”
“我待够了这鬼地方,我要回城里去干我的老本行,开铅笔厂。嗯,不过呢,我之前说的仍然算数。”
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
八、《科学怪人弗兰肯斯坦》,作者:玛丽·雪莱
Walton: “Dear Margaret: My ship picked up this guy. He RULES.”
沃尔登:“亲爱的玛格丽特:我的船救起了一个人——这哥们儿太牛了!”
Frankenstein: “I discovered the secret of life, and everyone died. (dies)”
弗兰肯斯坦:“我发现了生命的秘密,然后大家都死了。”(他也死了)
Frankenstein’s Monster: Inexplicably, I have become suicidal. (jumps out a window)
弗兰肯斯坦造的怪兽:不知道为什么,我变得越来越有自杀倾向。(飞身跳出窗外)
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
九、《战争与和平》,作者:列夫·托尔斯泰
Leo Tolstoy: “History controls everything we do, so there is no point in observing individual actions. Let’s examine the individual actions of over 500 characters at great length.”
列夫·托尔斯泰:“历史操控着我们所做的每一件事,因此,观察个人行为毫无意义。且让我们以超长的历史眼光来审视超过500名角色的个人行为吧。”
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
十、《哈克贝里·芬历险记》,作者:马克·吐温
(Goes rafting. Goes home.)
(走四方。回家乡。)
西方人的笑点与东方人可能确实不同,他们觉得好笑,我们可能觉得还好。译者从一分钟读书网上又摘选了几条,看着玩儿吧。以下几条未整理原文,实在抱歉,如需阅读原文,请点击书名连接直接移步原网站:
十一、《简·奥斯丁全集》
女主角:我暗恋男主角。可不能让他知道啊。
男主角:我暗恋女主角。可不能让她知道啊。
(最后他们都知道了。)
十二、《傲慢与偏见》,作者:简·奥斯丁
达西先生:对我来说,什么都不够好。
伊丽莎白·班纳特:我永远也不可能嫁给那个高傲的男人。
(他们改主意了。)
十三、《埃德加·艾伦·坡全集》
路人甲:噢,不!我被活埋了!
叙述者:我死了。
乌鸦:别再来了。
十四、《弗吉尼亚·吴尔夫全集》
生命如此美丽、悲剧。让我们将花朵放进花瓶。
十五、《格列佛游记》,作者:乔纳森·斯威夫特
(格列佛到处旅游。)
一个小人国居民:我们很小。
一个大人国居民:我们很大。
一匹马:我能讲话。
(格列佛回家了。)
格列佛:人性简直糟透了。我恨人类。
十六、《老人与海》,作者:厄纳斯特·海明威
一个老人捉住了一条鱼,可鱼太大了,他的船放不下。鱼被鲨鱼啃光了。然后他回家了。死了。
十七、《罗密欧与朱丽叶》,作者:威廉·莎士比亚
罗密欧:噢!朱丽叶!
朱丽叶:噢!罗密欧!
罗密欧:噢!朱丽叶!
朱丽叶:噢!罗密欧!
罗密欧:噢!朱丽叶!(死了。)
朱丽叶:噢!罗密欧!……罗密欧?……我靠……(也死了。)